Brecon RFC | 1st Team 17 - 53 Rhydyfelin RFC | 1st Team
Ewan David Williams
Try 1
Davey Herdman
Try 1
Daniel Edwards
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Mark Wayne Tyler
1 Try
Ross Gary Lucas
4 Conversion
Jordan Luke Rees
2 Try
Lewis Smith
1 Try
Quirke Fforest
2 Try
Scott David Pritchard
1 Try
Kevin Briggs
1 Try
Rhys Paul Phillips
1 Try

Match Report
10 September 2016 / Team News

Brecon 17 Rhydyfelin 53

Brecon opened the new campaign with a creditable victory at Nantyglo in miserable conditions. Their opponents, Rhydyfelin, also started in fine style with a bonus point home win against Brynmawr. Both teams, therefore, were eager to build on their good start but for Brecon in particular this was a game in which they could measure themselves against one of the top three teams of last season. Twice Rhydyfelin defeated Brecon and gaining a bonus point in both of their encounters in 2015/16. With this as the background, clearly Brecon faced a huge challenge on their home turf.

After the overnight rain the weather relented and the game kicked off in calm conditions and on a slightly damp playing surface. Rhydyfelin kicked off towards the town end and Brecon failed to gather, giving  the visitors an early opportunity. Rhydfelin capitalised as they drove over for a try and conversion after 2 minutes.

At the first scrum Brecon were under pressure but a great Adam Hoskins break earned a position on the visitors 22. A score didn’t come at first and a penalty opportunity was lost. Still Brecon maintained pressure. Rhydyfelin finally gained relief after 12 minutes of pressure without conceding a point.

A poor Brecon kick gave Rhydyfelin the opportunity to counter attack and full back Chris Tottle made the initial break before putting wing Jordan Rees away for a try.

Within no time Rhydyfelin increased their lead when centre Luke Rees cut through some weak defence to score under the posts. Smith converted and after 20 minutes Brecon found themselves 19 points down.

Brecon had to get themselves back into the game and a great Eifion Jones break led to a penalty which Daniel Edwards converted.

Brecon were lifted by the score and Jake Crockett was just denied in the corner.

That failure was costly as Rhydyfelin started to take control at the scrum and pressure told when outside half Lewis Smith jumed over an attempted tackle and scored under the posts and converted. Within no time the visitors extended their lead when centre Ross Lucas cut through weak defence.

At half time Brecon had a mountain to climb as they trailed Rhydyfelin by 31 points to 3.

Within two minutes of the start of the second half Brecon went further behind when Number 8 Keiron Roberts went over in the corner with Brecon left with a number of players scattered across the ground.

Worse was to follow when with Brecon attacking a flat pass was intercepted and Jordan Rees cantered 75 metres for his second try which was converted.

Further tries came first from outside half Lewis Smith and scrum half Kerry Jones as Brecon succumbed to the all-round footballing ability and power of the visitors.

Brecon did respond when captain Ewan Williams drove over to score a try which Daniel Edwards converted. In fact Ewan Williams led something of a revival as he set up a try for Davey Herdman which Edwards converted.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos