Brecon RFC | 1st Team 62 - 10 Senghenydd RFC | 1st Team
Jake Newman
Conversion 7
Penalty 1
Try 3
Jake Crockett
Try 1
Ewan David Williams
Try 1
Craig Davies
Try 2

Match Report
29 January 2017 / Team News


Following last week’s defeat at league leaders Rhydyfelin Brecon welcomed Senghenydd to Parc De Pugh and quickly got back in the groove and put on a dazzling display in front of their supporters and sponsors.


With the visitors only league victory so far coming against Brecon earlier in the season there was no room for complacency even when taking into account the home sides current form and the difference in league positions.


Following the bitterly colder weather earlier in the week, the conditions in the Usk valley were sunny and mild, and whilst the playing surface was a little soft on top, it remained relatively firm and conditions were right for the home side to continue playing the wide expansive game that has served them well over the last few weeks and to entertain a large expectant home crowd.


Brecon showed real intent from the kick off and the early pressure lead to an opportunity to convert a penalty kick, which was successfully taken by Jake Davie-Newman.  The home team then enjoyed a period of dominance, territorially and in terms of possession, which enabled them to get an early stranglehold on the game that they were never to relinquish. 


The home side was able to put together some effective attacking phases, both from first phase domination at the scrum, line out and the breakdown. By dominating possession in the first half Brecon were able to exert significant pressure on the visitors defence which was at times cut to shreds as the home side looked to move the ball quickly and with plenty of support runners the ball was kept alive and the team scored some outstanding tries.


The home forward pack was in total control and dominated the scrum often pushing the visitors around at will.  It was great to see Arron Horne back at hooker and his strong scrummaging performance along with Ryan Harris and the outstanding Richie Davies laid the platform for the whole team to play some outstanding rugby.  The line out again functioned well and Andrew Hosie and Mark Squirrell who both also showed up well in open play and carried effectively delivered a good supply of ball.  With such domination up front the back row were able to show their ball handling skills in attack with Craig Davies making some telling runs and he was well supported by Davey Herdman and Captain Ewan Williams who were always on hand to maintain continuity.


With such a large amount of good quality ball young scrum half James Price had an arm chair ride and he was able to show what a fine prospect he is at scrum half.  He moved move the ball quickly and accurately to release the dangerous Brecon backs.  Fly half Gari Davies marshaled his back line well and with Eifion Jones returning to the team after injury he and Cameron Gardner always provided a mid field threat to the opposition and also created space for the outside backs Lucas Jones, Jake Crockett and Jake Davies-Newman to exploit.


It was no real surprise with the amount of territorial domination and possession that by half time the home side had secured the try bonus point and lead 43-0.


The second half did not start quite as planned with the opposition’s dangerous full back finding gaps in the home defence and raced in to score the visitors first points of the day.  This lifted the spirits of the visitors and they began to compete with more conviction and aggression.  The visitors were soon to be reduced to 14 men after their flanker received a yellow card and with the numerical advantage the home side reasserted their dominance and carried on where they left off in the first half.  


The numerical advantage proved to be too much for the visitors and the already dominant Brecon forward pack took full advantage and forced the referee on two occasions to run under the posts and award two penalty tries to the home side after the visitors scrum collapsed close to their own line whilst under pressure a few too many times.


The visitors never gave up and crossed for a second try but this did not take the gloss off what was a thoroughly clinical and entertaining display from the home side.


The final score was Brecon 62 Senghenyd 10 and the try scorers for Brecon were Craig Davies - 2, Jake Davies-Newman - 3, Jake Crockett - 1, Ewan Williams ant 2 Penalty Tries.  Jake also kicked 1 penalty and 7 conversions.


With so many outstanding individual performances from the home players picking man of the match was difficult but the Vice Presidents finally gave it to Jake Davie-Newman for his personal points tally of 32 points and Richie Davies for his scrummaging and strong ball carrying performance.


Also worth noting was the performance of the young referee, Richard Deacy, who officiated with respect for both sides and was calm and in total control and contributed significantly to what was an extremely entertaining game of rugby.


No to be outdone the Second XV also put in a fine performance winning against Dowlais, who were so far unbeaten this season, by 33-5 team in the Ivor Williams Cup Quarter Final.  


Next week Brecon travel to Ynysybwl who are currently sitting in fourth position in the league but only two points ahead of the Brecon side.  This will be a real challenge for the Brecon team but given the current form and confidence in their play they should travel and look to secure something from the game.




There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos