Gwernyfed RFC | Youth Team 20 - 29 Brecon RFC | Youth Team
Joshua Hamilton
1 Try
Henry Morgan-gervis
2 Try
Huw Thomas
3 Conversion
1 Penalty
Ben Griffin
1 Try

Match Report
06 September 2018 / Team News

Gwernyfed Youth 20 - Brecon Youth 29

Saturday saw the Youth team travel to Trefecca Road to play the first League game of the season against our local rivals Gwernyfed.  With conditions ideal for open rugby and two talented sides on display the crowd were not disappointed and were thoroughly entertained.

Brecon started the better of the two sides and dominated territory and possession in the early exchanges but at crucial times turned the ball over or gave away unnecessary penalties which allowed the home side to clear their lines on a number of occasions when the visitors really should have capitalised and put points on the board.

Brecon’s first try came from Ben Griffin who was fed the ball close to the line after some good driving play and quick recycling of the ball from forwards and backs.  The conversion was kicked by Huw Thomas.

For the remainder of the first half it was the home side who got back into the game and worked themselves into a 20 -7 lead.

Just before half time the Brecon side scored their second try after a move from the back of a scrum five metres from the home try line took the visitors close and after two attempts it was Henry Morgan Gervis who touched down for a welcome score.  Hugh Thomas again kicked the conversion.   The score at half time was 20 – 14 to Gwernyfed.

Within minutes of the restart Brecon had got into the opposition 22 and forced a scrum 5m from the home try line.  The Brecon pack pushed the home side off the ball on their put in and Number 8 Henry Morgan Gervis picked up the ball and crashed through two defenders to score his second and Brecon’s third try of the day.  Huw Thomas kicked the conversion which put Brecon 21 – 20 in the lead.

Brecon’s fourth try came after a period of sustained pressure in the home teams 22 and it was Josh Hamilton who picked up the ball close to the line and drove over for a try.  The conversion was missed and going into the final stages of the game Brecon lead 26 – 20.

With 10 minutes to go Brecon were awarded a penalty which Huw Thomas kicked to move the score to 29 – 20 to the Brecon team and put them two scores ahead.

The visitors continued to play attacking rugby and looked to move the ball and play at a high intensity right to the end but along with this in the second half they effectively controlled the game by pinning the home team deep in their territory and pressurising the Gwernyfed side with their strong defence.

This was a pleasing start to the season for the Young Brecon side.

Try scorers:-

Ben Griffin - 1

Henry Morgan Gervis - 2

Josh Hamilton - 1


Huw Thomas - 3


Huw Thomas - 1


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos